Thursday, April 29, 2010

Restitution

Exodus 22:1 If a man steals an ox or a sheep, and slaughters it or sells it, he shall pay five oxen for the ox and four sheep for the sheep.

vs 4 If what he stole is actually found alive in his possession, whether an ox of a donkey or a sheep, he shall pay double.



This above is the Old Testament Law concerning thieves.
I once heard a preacher say that since the devil is a thief (John 10:10), we can appeal to God when the devil steals something from us that God, as our Judge, can bring justice to us and make the thief pay us back.

Granted, this teaching is from my time spent in the Faith Movement. I will be the first to acknowledge that there is A LOT WRONG with the faith movement. There are many excesses that do not in any way represent the heart of God.

However, during a time when I seemed to be losing a lot, God gave me a dream. While I tried to understand the dream, that teaching came to my remembrance. And I felt the okay to go with it and to ask for restitution in prayer.

It is a story I will tell you in the next post.
It worked for me.
Even if you don't believe in the principle, it wouldn't hurt to take it into your prayer room and ask God what He thinks of it.

2 comments:

JaneDoeThreads said...

Hi Mara,

you know what I important about that law and the others [the First HUMAN RIGHTS CODE BTW ON OUR EARTH, PRAISE GOD BE THE GLORY! AND THE FIRST 'LABOR RIGHTS', OH YEA]

is that, ox and sheep were people's livelihood then so like in comparison today it would be Wages, or things they need to make Wages, to buy food,

God cared so much about people's needs that He made laws, protecting people's ability to make food, those ox used for farming and those sheep used for clothing...

and if we take, we are to restore, Numerous times, like all those laws, are what would be Today, called Liberalism. Where economic Rights are concerned,

God doesn't want any of His creation hungry naked or not able to feed-clothe themselves...

so it's not so much about Us being given restitution as much as it is Us, making sure, that no one, is unjustly refused these things. And it's like, what we do, effects another--

makes me think of my actions a lot more seriously, because I was selfish for Years, so that is what I want to change now. And I do owe debts, student loans mostly--so that Is what I want to do,

owe no man nothing. But it's HOW to do that, so my prayer, is that I can do that, and more...

because that I think, is really the Heart of those laws, God gave.

Jane

Mara Reid said...

Jane, I've been thinking about what you said about it being a need to be able to earn a living. Hadn't thought if it that way before.

The story I want to tell, if I can ever get to it, is also based in my need, but it has nothing to do with earning a wage.

I believe many of these passages have several levels of meaning. The new one on me is the 'wage earning' angle. It's an important level of meaning but not the only one.

Hope to get how these verses applied to my need soon.