Thursday, June 28, 2012

Worshiping the Idol of Family

Hi, I'm a wife and mother of four. I love being a mother. My children are the delight of my life and they keep me going like nothing else can.

However...

I know that there is far more to me than being a wife and mother. And, those extra little things that make me 'me', that make me an even better mom, including those things that are not deemed 'feminine' enough for patriarchal groups headed by the likes of Voddie Baucham, Doug Wilson, John Piper, or Mark Driscoll.

As much as I love my family and the idea of family and community, I understand that an inordinate affection for things, raising those things to the level of godhood, is wrong, approaching idolatrous.

This is what many groups are doing with family and manhood and womanhood and parenting.
The Wartburg Watch has an excellent piece concerning "Family Integrated Churches" that can be referred back to in order to see just how big and far reaching these ideas are and see the library of reading that is available to push their well-meaning yet somewhat-off version of the gospel:

Household of Faith Fellowship of Churches - An Overview

1 comment:

Gem said...

Reminds me of my similar realization of the idolatry: The "biblical" family