Sunday, January 3, 2010

Knowing God, 1

Exodus 33:13 Now therefore, I pray Thee, if I have found favor in Thy sight, let me know Thy ways, that I may know Thee, so that I may find favor in Thy sight...

Again this is an except from the verses we read in my November 26th post, "Let Me See Your Glory."
In essence, even though we are taking a bit of a break from the Song of Solomon, really what I'm talking about in the Personal Study/Journey series and this one on Knowing God, they are both connected and intertwined.

Part of getting healed in the presence of God is getting to know God. SOS is about growing intimacy between the Lover and the Beloved. The Personal Study posts were, in a way, responding to my meditation on, "Arise, my darling, by beautiful one, and come along," (2:10&13). I was seeking Him and trying to learn how to respond to His calling by meditating on John 5:39&40; Matthew 23:37; and Matthew 11:28-30.

So anyway, we are back again to Exodus 33. Let's focus on verse 13 again.

"...if I have found favor in Thy sight, let me know Thy ways that I may find favor in Thy sight."

It seems as though Moses is talking in circles. If You favor me, let me know You in order to find Your favor.

At first this can be confusing. Until you look at it in another way.
You have heard of the phrase, "down ward spiral." It is used for such things as alcoholism, and the domestic abuse cycle.
Well, if there is a downward spiral into sin and darkness, does this mean there can be a spiral or cycle upward? I maintain that it is possible.

Getting to know God is an onward and upward cycle. First we find favor, then in His presence that that favor provides, we get to know Him. And the more we know Him, the more we walk in that favor, etc.

There is no end to it, at least not on this earth. Because once you get close enough to Him, your feet can't remain on the ground.
I say this is a possiblity because of the story of Enoch who walked with God. He got so close to the Lover of his soul on this earth, he could no longer remain here. He never tasted death. He just went on home with Him. (Genesis 5:24)

No comments: