Thursday, April 7, 2011

My Continued Ambivalence

As Darcy brings up, there's a lot to love about Eldredge's Wild At Heart. It helped me. I absolutely cannot deny it and will always have a soft place in my heart for it for what it has done for me. But unfortunately it has been a catalyst for some very bad behavior in men, including mine. I could go into stories but I thought this heart rending review would give a better understanding. And as the reviewer said, it wasn't the book that caused the problems, but rather it was gasoline thrown on already smoldering embers. This reviewer's experience is on the extreme end. Many women and children have suffered lesser versions of this. (The link will jump to the place to make a comment. Just scroll up.) http://www.amazon.com/review/R2H72YKWGDT2NW/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8ASIN=0785268839&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful

2 comments:

Darcy said...

Wow, that is so sad! I've known so many people who have been helped by this book, I had no idea it's caused problems! Now I want to read it again to see what in the world I missed. :/ I'm a pretty critical reader so this really surprises me.

Mara Reid said...

I couldn't find the review that I really wanted to link. I looked and looked but couldn't find it. Actually it wasn't the review that bothered me. All the gal said in the review was that she didn't want to be stuck being a damsel that must be rescued. She wanted to ride along with her man and slay dragons with him.

It was a comment under her review that was disturbing. The guy that commented on her review called her a feminazi that didn't understand what the Bible says.