Monday, February 20, 2012

"Driscoll Uses the Bible as a Sock Puppet...

...that always agrees with him."--Nick Bulbeck.

A quote so brilliant I wish I had come up with it. But, of course, I didn't. Nor can I take credit for discovering this quote. WTH did. So I'm going to link his post where he quotes the entire paragraph, with contains other insightful things. And WTH's post links the link to this comment so, if you care to, you can read the comment in its in entirety and see the blog from whence it came.



(For those interested this comment was under one kinnon.tv's blog posts)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mara - thankyou for your kind words, though the quote is not completely accurate - I wrote that Mark Driscoll isn't a teacher, but "is merely adept at using the Bible as a sock-puppet that always agrees with him".

May I clarify further? Namely, by saying that Driscoll is by no means unique in that respect. Ironically, many of the anonymous heresy spotters out there (who, perhaps, sit in their nan's basements blogging in their pyjamas, as the saying goes) do likewise. Not only that, but when I first properly discovered bible teaching 25 years ago, I was the same; I became a drooling and self-righteous fundamentalist, eager to "correct" the doctrine of my more gracious, patient and Christ-like christian friends.

As it happens, I'm only a couple of years older than Mark Driscoll and he and I both therefore discovered the bible at about the same time, though thousands of miles apart. And if I had been a strong personality with a clear leadership gift, then I too might have amassed a band of loyal followers and become a pastor before I ever learned to be a disciple.

Yes, I believe some of Driscoll's influence is unhealthy and must not go unchallenged. But I am not, in myself, better than he is; there, but for the grace of God, go I.

Mara Reid said...

Thanks, Nick, for your comment. I liked it so much I made an entire new post with it in there and put my response to it there.