Thursday, November 26, 2009

Let Me See Your Glory

SOS 2:14 O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, In the secret place of the steep pathway, Let me see your form, Let me hear your voice; For your voice is sweet, and your form is lovely.

Yes, there is more. It gets deeper when you compare similar scripture elsewhere.

Exodus 33:18 Then Moses said, "I pray Thee, show me They glory!"
vs 19 And He said, "I Myself will make all My goodness pass before you and will proclaim the name of the Lord before you; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show compassion on whom I will show compassion."
Vs 20 But He said, "You cannot see my face, for no man can see Me and live!"
vs 21 Then the Lord said, "Behold, there is a place by Me, and you shall stand there on the rock;
vs 22 and it will come about, while My glory is passing by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by.
vs 23 Then I will take My hand away and you shall see my back, but My face shall not be seen."
Exodus 34:1 Now the Lord said to Moses, "Cut out for yourself two stone tablets like the former ones, and I will write on the tablets the words that were on the fromer tablets which you shattered.
vs 2 So be ready by morning, and come up in the morning to Mount Sinai, and present yourself there to Me on the top of the mountain.
vs 3 And no man is to come up with you, nor let any man be seen anywhere on the mountain; even the flocks and the herds may not graze in front of that mountain.
vs 4 So he cut out two stone tablets like the former ones, and Moses rose up early in the morning and went up to Mount Sinai, as the Lord had commanded him, and he took two stone tablets in his hand.
vs 5 And the Lord descended in the cloud and stood there with him as he call upon the name of the Lord.
vs 6 Then the Lord passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "The Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in loveingkindess and truth (faithfulness);
vs 7 who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generation.

In Exodus chapters 33 and 34 we have Moses calling out to God, asking to see His glory.
It must not have been wrong because God answers.
God reveals Himself and His nature proclaiming who He was, compassionate and gracious, and so much more.
The similarities between the verses above in blue and the one above that in fuchia are noticable. But the one big difference is between who's point of view (pov) it is seen. In SOS 2:14 it is from the Lover's pov. In Exodus it is from Moses's pov. Moses is part of the nation of Israel. The nation of Israel is compared to a bride or a betrothed in other places. Moses, as a representative of Israel would make Exodus 33 and 34 from the 'beloved's' pov. If you follow me.
The similarities, of course, the beloved in SOS and Moses in Exodus is the fact they were both in a high place.
Beloved -> steep pathway/cliff. Moses -> Mount Sinai.
The other thing would be the cleft of the rock.

Am I saying that these two evens are one and the same. No. Not necessarily. I'm just pointing out the similarities.
And from the comparison I'm seeing that God both wants to reveal Himself to us and wants us to reveal ourselves to Him.
In one, He assures us of His compassion, grace, and so much more.
In the other, He assures He really wants to see us, our appearance. He wants to hear us, our voice.

A major serious part of this road of ascent is the revealing of the two parties involved, the Lover and the Beloved to one another. And God encourages us, on one hand, to open ourselves up to Him, and on the other, to open our eyes and ears to see who He really is.

This is why the personal ascent of the believer up the mountain of God is so important. Too many have made God out to be what He was not. They made Him after the image of imperfect men who love imperfectly. Then people, men and women, are called to bow down to the imperfect image thinking it is true. But each believer needs to be on a quest to find who He really is. We can, and SHOULD, compare notes along the way to keep ourselves from getting off balance. But we should NEVER allow another, a preacher, a spouse, a favorite Christian personality... We should NEVER allow another to spell out every detail of God for us. We need to do our own home work. We need to ascend the mountain ourselves and find Him.

I'm not going to lie to you.

Sometimes finding the fullness of God is painful to our sinful nature. Isaiah cried out that he was being undone, torn apart at the seams in God's presence.
But hiding in the shadows and never facing the fullness of God makes fertile ground for error in our understanding of Him.

1 comment:

JaneDoeThreads said...

just popping in to wish you a Happy and Joyful Thanksgiving...

good post, confirms something I prayed about this morning and will be thinking on this.

Love,

Jane